Library hours and the borrowing policy.
- Staff can access the library every day of the school week. The Library is open to students on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 8.30am – 8.45am in the mornings and 2.55pm – 3.15pm in the afternoons.
- Students can also access the library at lunchtimes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday between 12.55pm and 1.15pm.
- Students from Kindergarten to Year 6 may borrow up to 2 books at a time.
- Students wishing to change their books more frequently may do so between Tuesday and Thursday, either before school or after school and at lunch time on Wednesday.
- Student loans are for one week with an extension for a further week available if the child has not finished reading the book in that time.
About our Library
The Library is staffed by Library Officer, Mrs Penny Porter. Student borrowing commences in week 2 with Kindy to Year 6 students able to borrow two books for a period of one week.
Please make sure that your child has a cloth library bag or similar for protecting books as they are carried to and from school and that it is clearly marked with their name. As parents, you can assist by finding out your child’s weekly scheduled borrowing session and ensuring that the books are returned on time.
Reminder: Student loans are for one week with an extension for a further week available if the child has not finished reading the book in that time.
In addition to the class borrowing session, children can return and borrow books at the following times:
Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday before school from 8.30am and after school until 3.10pm, Wednesday lunch time 12.55pm-1.15pm.
Parents are welcome to come with their child to help them borrow on the days that the Library is open before and after school.
The library is open for students on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at lunch time. During this time, students can play board games and read books.
Every year we ask for parent volunteers to help in the Library. It can be as little as ten minutes after drop-off in the morning or before pick-up in the afternoon to help with shelving. If you are able to commit to a longer period of time there are a variety of tasks, such as book covering. No experience is necessary and training is provided. If you would like to volunteer to help, please call in and see Penny in the Library on the days that she is here, or leave your name and contact number at the front office.
Our Library Program
Literature Appreciation – engaging students in a love of reading utilising a variety of strategies such as:
- Reading aloud to students
- Highlighting different literary genres e.g. humour, fantasy, adventure, fables, mystery, fairy tales etc
- Author / Illustrator Studies
- Developing Literacy Partnerships e.g. Premier’s Summer Reading Challenge, Better Beginnings, Links with the Melville Public Libraries etc.
- Displays for themes and special events e.g. Summer Olympics, Book Week, Anzac Day etc
Information Literacy – assisting students to access and use information effectively:
- Library shelf organisation (Dewey Decimal Classification)
- Using the library’s Public Access program to locate resources.
- Conducting effective Internet searches
- Using the enquiry approach to research
We look forward to hearing from you and seeing you in the Library.